I know most of us are familiar with Irish Soda Bread, so I went looking for something different for our Ireland Date Night. I love brown breads, and thought this looked like a winner. I wasn’t wrong. It was wonderful, slathered with some Irish butter fresh out of the oven!Print
A dark, rich, malty bread that is perfect for any Irish meal. Try it fresh out of the oven with some Irish butter slathered on it-pure decadence!
- 2–2.5 c strong brown bread flour
- 1/3 c malted bread flour
- 1 pack yeast
- 1/2 c malt extract
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 c water, 110-115 degrees F
- Mix bread flour, malted bread flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl. mix the malt extract, olive oil and warm water, stirring to dissolve the malt. Add to the flour bowl.
- Knead until a smooth ball forms, about 5 minutes if using a stand mixer.
- Oil a bowl, put dough in, turning to coat, cover with a tea towel and allow to double in volume, about 1-2 hours.
- Grease 9 in loaf pan. Roll dough into log and place, seam side down into pan. Cover with tea towel and allow to raise until double, about 1 hour more
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when thumped lightly.
These ingredients were hard to source locally. I had to order the strong brown bread flour, malted bread flour and the malt extract because I couldn’t find them here locally.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Irish Date Night, Bread
- Cuisine: Irish