Petite baby red potatoes, hand smashed with garlic, butter and cream. Pure heaven.
I like smashed potatoes, like this, for hearty gravies or meat sauces that have mushrooms, onions, etc in them. I leave the skin on, and leave them more chunky than a whipped potato. It’s just gives a more rustic, homestyle feel to them.
These potatoes are pretty quick to make- no peeling, no dicing, and since the potatoes are small, they cook quickly. I cook and prepare them in the same pan, and use just a hand masher, so there aren’t a ton of dishes to clean.Print
Buttery, garlicky hand smashed red potatoes. Perfect for a hearty, homestyle meal.
- 1.5 lbs baby red potatoes
- 3 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Put potatoes and garlic in large pot with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Put 1 tbsp salt in water and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes to pot and put back on stove top. WITH THE BURNER OFF, mash the potatoes until they are mashed to your preference.
- Add butter and cream. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a pat of butter on top and a sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley.
You may add more butter or cream, or both if you desire.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: potatoes, side dishes, vegetable side dishes
- Cuisine: Side Dishes